4TH OF JULY WEEKEND GETAWAY!
So, we decided to extend our Disney trip and we’re staying in California for this beautiful 4th of July weekend. (Sorry AZ – We need a break from the heat. I think we all remember Mila’s accurate description of what THAT’S like…click here if you missed it lol) The weather is perfect in SoCal right now… we’ve been lucky enough to find some beautiful places to stay in Laguna Beach and Newport. The kids love the beach… Soooo many sand castles.
Who else is escaping home and heading toward water??
I just read a survey by Expedia that says Americans prefer to DRIVE to the beach instead of fly. I thought that was really interesting. Makes sense with all the kids lol packing is a nightmare. According to their 2017 Flip Flop Report families are willing to spend more than 8 hours in a car to find a beach!!!
What do you think?? Are you packed in the car in pursuit of sand this weekend? Leave now and you still have plenty of days to relax with the fam!!!
Soooo…..If you are, I have a few ideas for you depending on where you’re at. Expedia helped us put together this list of drivable beach destinations so you can experience the best weekend if you want to getaway for the 4th like we did.
1. Coronado Beach
• Why: A slice of the Californian dream awaits at this idyllic stretch of sand, just a few miles from downtown San Diego.
• Travel time from Phoenix: less than six hours
• Where to stay: Check out this fantastic vacation home located in the heart of Coronado or check-in to the Westin San Diego.
2. Southampton Village Coopers Beach and East Hampton
• Why: Two to three hours outside of New York City, you’ll find Southampton Village Coopers Beach and East Hampton on the easternmost tip of Long Island, which has miles of beautiful coastline.
• Travel time from NYC: 2-3 hours
• Where to stay: Check out this luxury East Village home in East Hampton or this historic house in the heart of Southampton Village.
3. Cannon Beach
• Why: A well-established retreat for families and surfers alike, the sand-dusted streets are filled with Cape Cod-style cafés, driftwood sculptures, surf shops, salt water taffy confectionaries, and souvenir stores selling kites and crêpes.
• Travel time from Seattle: less than 4 hours
• Where to stay: Why not start the quest for the ultimate Cannon Beach base by checking out the latest offers at the Lodges At Cannon Beach.
4. Myrtle Beach
• Why: With wildlife adventures, thrill rides, and sand castles, Myrtle Beach offers natural beauty, Southern history, and family-friendly attractions.
• Travel Time from Charlotte, NC: less than 4 hours
• Where to stay: You’ll have no troubles finding the perfect hotel in Myrtle Beach. Expedia’s hotels page contains 183 different options in this highly popular destination. Travelers can also get 10% off this luxury Myrtle Beach vacation home.
5. Nantucket Island
• Why: Solo travelers, couples, and families will love the unspoiled beaches and picturesque lighthouses.
• Travel Time from Boston: about 4.5 hours
• Where to stay: The White Elephant Village and The Cottages and Lofts at Boat Basin will appeal to those who appreciate a little luxury and want to spend as much time relaxing as possible while on the island. If you’re on a budget, you should check out the rates at the White Elephant Hotel and the Nantucket Inn, two of the island’s cheaper choices. For a bit more space, opt for this 4-bedroom 19th century Nantucket whaler’s cottage.